Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Extra Mile

By Michael L. Alumbaugh, © Oct. 2, 2005, 2010

It was a Sunday afternoon on October 2, 2005. I needed to practice for our Praise Band at Cowboy Church in Benton. As I walked through the living room, I mentioned it was Ray's birthday and Garry's approaching.

My Bride asked if I had a birthday present for Ray since I would see him in a couple of hours. I said “No.” She suggested I write a song for him. (No pressure.) So I walked into the bedroom, closed the door, opened the guitar case, tuned up, and the Lord did the rest. In about an hour I had a present for my friends!

I played it that evening and watched a former Marine cry.

 Dedicated to my beloved wife, my mother, our longtime friend Garry, and my pickin’ buddy Ray on his 59th birthday. Happy Birthday to us all! (Ray*, Garry and all who, knowingly or unknowingly, have invested in my life!)

PS: * Ray, I remember in the fall of 2004 when Christina and I got stranded on the highway in our ’85 Honda. We were on our way to practice with you.  How refreshing it was to see you as you pulled up to rescue us!  Hope sprang eternal as we sat at the Pizza Hut and saw you walk in.  And for all the other blessings which inspired this song, most of all thank you for being Christ to me with that unconditional love only He can give through you.  (To love the unloveable.)  Happy Birthday!”


When I think about the different ones
Who’ve touched me on life’s path
There’s just a few who seem to bring a tear.
Now time is quickly passing by
I’m numbering my days
Remembering the best part of my years.


You came along and walked the extra mile.
You came like springtime on the wind.
You loved me when I needed it the most.
I’m so glad that you’re my friend.

Now my friend, you’ve loved me at all times
‘Cause you love the One I serve
And you overlooked those faults that seem so plain.
You joy with me when I rejoice,
You just believe the best
You carried me when I’m bearing pain.

You came along and walked the extra mile.
You came like springtime on the wind.
You loved me when I needed it the most.
And I’m so glad that you’re my friend.

You stuck close to me when everyone had gone.
You gave me hope to end the day.
You are the Light that shines upon my darkening path.
You are the Truth, the Life, the Way.

So faithfully you wounded me
But that’s what mattered most,
Or I’d never found the shelter of your fold.
But your Word’s a healing ointment
Poured o’er this stubborn heart.
You paid my debt and then you saved my soul.

You came along and walked the extra mile.
You came like springtime on the wind.
You loved me when I needed it the most.
And I'm so glad that you're my friend.

You came along and walked the extra mile.
You came like springtime on the wind.
You loved me when I needed it the most.
And I’m so glad that you’re my friend.
I’m so glad that you’re my friend.
You’re my Saviour and my friend.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. – Matt. 25:34 - 40
And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. – Matt. 5:41
A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. – Prov. 17:17
A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.-Prov. 18:24
Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. – Pro. 27:6
Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man’s friend by hearty counsel. – Pro. 27:9
For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward. – Mark 9:41

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooky and the Circuit Ridin' Preacher and the Snake

By Michael L. Alumbaugh, © Oct. 16, 2010, 2023 (Words to Amazing Grace by John Newton (1725-1807) Artwork "Apache Ambush" by Frede...