Saturday, March 29, 2014

Fancy Musician

By Michael L. Alumbaugh, © 1978, 2005, 2014

It has been a tumultuous year emotionally and spiritually. I had broken a long-term relationship with a college sweetheart in late '77. It was mid-summer 1978. I had become very disillusioned about the Christianity I had been exposed to through my upbringing, and the denominational publishing company I was working for as a graphic artist. I saw the same "hypocrisy" as I'd attended their affiliated college previously near home. During a conversation with college friends I stated emphatically that I had concluded it wasn't possible for me to "remain a Nazarene and still be a Christian" or the converse, "I can't be a Christian and still be a Nazarene. The two don't coincide."  It was like Moses splitting the Red Sea with his rod! Everyone stepped back away from me as if lightning would soon strike me down!

Additionally, I'd become infatuated with a young lady who would later become my Bride, though, at the time, she didn't share my vision for us. I had "popped the question" but she was confident of her decision to move on and confirmed it by returning to her home in Missouri. (I was moving too fast!)

With that, I  prepared to move from the Kansas City area to the smaller town of Wichita, Ks to start over fresh and build a Christian Contemporary band with a high school buddy of mine living there.

Having pondered the circumstances, I announced to my Dad my plans to leave Olathe and try a new beginning. His response was less than supportive firmly informing me that I was ". . . running off half cocked!" Back at my rental duplex I sat staring out the front window, licking my wounds, and noodling on my guitar. The thoughts, words and music fell together. The is the first song I ever wrote.


I'm not a fancy musician.
I don't get too many auditions,
I just play my music for the Lord.
You know, the words may not always rhyme.
You know, the beat may be out of time.
I just play my music to the Lord.

So if you just hear a pretty song
And you'd like to sing along,
Then, with your voice,
Sing your praises to the Lord!

You may not like the world's conditions.
You may not hold a high-ranking position,
But you can still be thankful.
Just praise the Lord.
Because He loves you for just being you.
He wants to make your life anew.
So with your voice, just praise the Lord.

And if you just hear a pretty song,
And you can't help singing along,
Then, with your heart,
You're singing praises to the Lord . . .
To the Lord. . . 
To the Lord. . .  
To the Lord. . . 
Just praise the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cooky and the Circuit Ridin' Preacher and the Snake

By Michael L. Alumbaugh, © Oct. 16, 2010, 2023 (Words to Amazing Grace by John Newton (1725-1807) Artwork "Apache Ambush" by Frede...